FREYSSINET RECRUITMENT OPPORTUNITY
Job title: Estimator
Department: Repairs & Products
Place of Work: Telford, Shropshire
Accountable to: Sales Director
Since its inception in 1950, Freyssinet has been at the forefront of providing specialised civil engineering technology, consultancy and installation for projects large and small. Freyssinet forms part of the Soletanche Freyssinet Group, a name that is respected worldwide for delivering innovative solutions and pushing the envelope of civil and structural engineering achievement. Originally a specialist in bridge components and post-tensioning, Freyssinet has successfully expanded its portfolio of products and services into repair, protection and strengthening of structures: specialising in diagnostic surveys, repairs, refurbishment, bridge bearings and cathodic protection to reinforced concrete in the building, civil and marine sectors. In 2007 the Freyssinet Group adopted the ‘Sustainable Technology’ tagline. Its products and services offer high value-added solutions which are synonymous with sustainability, our aim is “to do more with less materials and energy”, setting us apart from conventional solutions.
An opportunity for an innovative, decisive and experienced Estimator who can work effectively in a highly collaborative, team-based environment; has the ability to set goals and expectations and hold others accountable; can encourage and mentor others; is approachable, empathetic and outgoing; can quickly gain trust and respect; is able to establish and maintain positive working relationships.
Job Purpose / Summary
Provision of cost estimates for materials and manpower, contract management, project scheduling, vendor management/ procurement, project budget for projects ranging from £5k to £3m.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Defining and quantifying scope of work and preparing comprehensive conceptual, budgetary, and construction cost estimates for projects; Day to day contact with clients to develop profitable schemes
• Maintaining involvement in uncovering sales opportunities with prospective and existing customers
• Some supervision of assistant estimators, interns or project engineers
• Preparing estimates for high value structural concrete/masonry repair and strengthening projects
• Maintaining client relationships and uncovering sales opportunities with existing customers
• Generating technical proposals
• Reviewing / researching historical data and compiling summary reports to develop guidelines and precedents for future estimates
• Working with the project management team in establishing a bidders list, soliciting and evaluating subcontractor proposals and scopes of work
• Preparing quantity surveys and reviewing project plans and specifications for constructability and value engineering
• Reading and interpreting technical drawings and specifications
Knowledge & Experience
A highly motivated, self-starter, you will need:
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering
• Exceptional analytical, mathematical & computer skills, with critical thinking ability
• A good working knowledge of MS Office (minimum of Word and Excel)
• Considerable experience civil repairs estimating for a specialist contractor
• Site based experience with the ability to investigate and report defects
• To be prepared to travel around the UK to various sites
• Experience with estimating software, preferably “Causeway” and design detailing
In addition, the following would be highly advantageous:
• A background in heavy civil/industrial construction, bridge/highway construction and experience of temporary works, along with a strong understanding of construction methods and safety
• Experience of using specialist repair and strengthening techniques, including: carbon-fibre, external post-tensioning and sprayed concrete.
Skills & Attributes
Communicating & Influencing
Excellent communication skills; tenacious and pro-active; able to identify, secure and maximise on business opportunities through positive relationships with all stakeholders including internal colleagues, clients and supply chain.
Dynamic and effective pricing of projects to win business, whilst achieving targeted profit margins
Planning & Organising
Excellent organisation skills and time-management ability; able to deliver quality proposals in a timely manner
Maintain CPD by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, and participating in professional organizations. Keep up to date with industry sector and product developments, both externally and across the Freyssinet Group External and Internal Networking.
£competitive plus annual bonus; car or car allowance; private healthcare; income protection insurance; life assurance; company pension; company share scheme.
Please email your CV and a covering letter to HR@freyssinet.co.uk with the subject title ‘Estimator position’
Freyssinet is an Equal Opportunities Employer.