Job title: Design Engineer
Place of Work: London (South East)
Accountable to: Technical Manager
Present for more than 75 years in the UK, Freyssinet Ltd has been at the forefront of providing specialised civil engineering technology, consultancy and installation for projects large and small.
As a subsidiary of the Freyssinet company headquartered in France, Freyssinet Ltd forms part of the Soletanche Freyssinet Group, a name that is respected worldwide for delivering innovative solutions and pushing the envelope of civil and structural engineering achievement. In 2007 Freyssinet Group adopted the ‘Sustainable Technology’ tagline. Our products and services offer are geared toward making structures more durable and making more efficient use of material, setting us apart from conventional solutions.
Originally a specialist in bridge components and post-tensioning, Freyssinet Ltd has successfully expanded its portfolio of products and services to offer an unrivalled range of skills and integrated technical solutions for new structures and the repairs and maintenance of highways, buildings, railways, water, commercial and industrial structures.
Freyssinet Ltd value-added solutions are supported by subsidiary companies; Corrosion Control Services Ltd (CCSL) – a specialist consultancy in diagnosis of corrosion-related deterioration, Aquaforce Concrete Services Ltd, a dedicated hydro demolition and spray concrete team and Foreva Concrete Repairs Ltd, experts in repair and maintenance operations.
An exciting opportunity for a dynamic, forward thinking Structural Design Engineer to join our growing Technical Division. You will be based in our London office, supported and mentored by Senior Engineers and visiting live projects and external clients.
The role will require you to design and detail temporary works and strengthening solutions, justifying appropriate construction methods. You will be involved with managing internal design processes and programmes, along with design activities undertaken by external engineers.
Duties and responsibilities
- Design and detail temporary works, including bespoke tools
- Design and detail strengthening solutions
- Design and justify construction methods
- Perform job risk assessment and design hazard analysis
- Liaise with Clients, Checkers and other Engineers
- Assist Company Estimators with technical aspects of tenders and drafting
- Assess tenders to study feasibility and give recommendations to Clients
- Promote the use of Freyssinet solutions to Clients and Consultants
- Provide design programmes and monitor them
- Manage design activities by external Engineers
- Manage internal design processes, including assumptions reviews, design, checks, and issuing approved drawings to operation teams and Clients
- Ensure designs are safe and economically optimised
Knowledge and experience
- A degree in structural engineering
- Experience of designing in steel and reinforced concrete structures
- Experience of temporary works design
- A background gained within a consultancy environment, with the willingness to apply this into the practical aspects of construction
Skills and attributes
|Communicating & Influencing||Strong, effective communication skills; able to liaise confidently and concisely with a range of internal and external stakeholders; able to express ideas effectively and deliver information appropriately|
|Teamworking||Able and willing to share and receive information; co-operate with colleagues, support group decisions and put group goals ahead of own|
|Planning & Organising||Excellent organisational skills and time-management ability; able to develop and adhere to appropriate programmes, plans and goals, to ensure effective delivery of projects|
|Motivation||Displays energy and enthusiasm; commits to putting in additional effort; maintains high level of productivity and self-direction|
|Attention to Detail||Sets and maintains high performance standards; pays close attention to detail, accuracy and completeness|
|Creativity & Innovation||Willing to put forward innovative design ideas and solutions; acting as a technical expert to client base|
Maintain CPD by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications, and participating in professional organizations. Keep up to date with industry sector and product developments, both externally and across the Freyssinet Group.
£competitive plus annual bonus; car or car allowance; private healthcare; income protection insurance; life assurance; company pension; company share scheme.
Please email your CV and a covering letter to HR@freyssinet.co.uk with the subject title ‘Design Engineer’.
Freyssinet is an Equal Opportunities Employer.
Find out more about Freyssinet here.